BScPT, Diploma Sport Physiotherapist, MSc, BPE, Certified Gunn IMS, Clinical Associate Professor, UBC
Tyler achieved his Bachelor of Physical Therapy degree from the University of Alberta in 1993. He completed his Masters Degree in Rehabilitation Sciences from UBC in 1998. Tyler opened Physiomoves in 2007 and is proud of the reputation he and his team are establishing in the community as one of the best physio/ rehabilitation clinics in the Lower Mainland.
Tyler is a Clinical Associate Professor with the Department of Physical Therapy, Faculty of Medicine at UBC. He has been instructing UBC students in the area of Sports and Orthopaedic Physiotherapy since 1998. He is honoured to be a past recipient of the Physiotherapy Association of BC Award of Excellence in Education, as well as the Faculty of Medicine Award for Excellence in Teaching. He continues to mentor and supervise UBC Master of Physical Therapy students each year. He is published in many journals and magazines and is often asked to speak at events pertaining to sports and injuries.
Tyler holds a Diploma in Sport Physiotherapy, Canada's highest level of sport rehabilitation specialization for his profession. As a former national champion cyclist, Tyler is also the Lower Mainland's expert on bike fits, having performed thousands of these over the past 20 years. He has worked with athletes from many sports, including extensive experience in cycling, running, swimming, rugby, hockey, field hockey, and gymnastics at the provincial, national and international level. He was a part of the Host Medical Team at Canada Hockey Place during the 2010 Olympics. Tyler has completed the Functional Movement Screening and the Selective Functional Movement Assessment courses. Tyler has also successfully completed the Gunn IMS (intra-muscular stimulation) course and offers IMS to his clients as part of their rehabilitation program as needed. He is also currently pursuing advanced bike fit certification.
In his spare time, Tyler enjoys cycling and spending time with his wife and 3 sons around their local Surrey neighbourhood (especially at the soccer fields and bike park!). He shares his time between the 2 Physiomoves clinics in Surrey (on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays) and South Surrey (on Tuesdays and Thursdays).
- Bachelor of Physical Education (Athletic Therapy), U of A, 1989
- Bachelor of Science in Physical Therapy, U of A, 1993
- Intermediate level Manual Therapy, 1995
- Masters degree in Rehab Science, UBC, 1998 (Thesis on Patellar Tendinopathy)
- Sport Physiotherapy Diploma, 1999
- Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (NSCA), 2003
- Over 23 years experience in sports rehabilitation, orthopedics, arthritis, and joint replacement (9 years at the UBC Sports Medicine Centre)
- Treated athletes from many different sports (e.g. cycling, triathlon, rugby, field hockey, and gymnastics at the provincial, national and international level).
- Over 19 years experience in performing "bike fits" for triathletes, road cyclists, commuters, and recreational cyclists in order to optimize cycling performance and to prevent injuries.
- Clinical Associate Professor, Department of Physical Therapy (UBC) since 1998
- Therapist, hockey venue during the 2010 Winter Olympics
- Examiner for Sports Physiotherapy Canada
- National Champion in cross country mountain bike racing (Master Expert category), 2001
- Bronze medalist World Masters Games cross country mountain bike race in Melbourne , Australia , 2002
- Physiotherapy Association of BC Award of Excellence: Education, 2005
- Faculty of Medicine Award for Excellence in Teaching, 2006